Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Introductory Post

This blog will have less sports information on it and will focus on political, popular culture, science, books, pretty much anything that I find interesting.  I am really doing these two blogs because in his book Outliers, Malcolm Gladwell talks about the 10,000 hour rule.  I'll quote extensively from the book here to help to try and explain what I am doing here.  The study was done by psychologist K. Anders Ericsson and two colleagues.  Basically they studied the best of the best violinists and pianists and found that the practice levels of the different levels of musicians without fail were staggered.  "The students who would end up the best in their class began to practice more than everyone else...In fact, by the age of twenty , the elite performers had each totaled ten thousand hours of practice." 
Writes neurologist Daniel Levitin, "The emerging picture from which studies is that ten thousand hours of practice is required to achieve the level of mastery associated with being a world-class expert-in anything.  In study after study, of composers, basketball players, fiction writers, ice skaters, concert pianists, chess players, master criminals, what have you, this number comes up again and again."  There are other books and studies done that prove the 10,000 hour rule.  I would like to practice writing so much that I can try and reach the 10,000 hour mark as quickly as possible. 
The point of this blog is not to entertain those who stumble on to this blog which I'm sure it'll do so minimally but rather to allow me the chance to practice writing as much as humanly possible.  I apologize in advance if the writing is poor, I am going to write as much as possible, and hope that my writing improves as I go through this.  I hope I can entertain you in the process but again is not my primary goal in establishing these blogs and maybe you'll learn something you wouldn't have learned without me being here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment